Top 10 Ways to Beat the Heat
Every day we are witnessing the rise in Celsius globally with some experts going far and predicting the end of the planet in near future. Whatever the opinions and views might be but the hardest truth for us is to innovate and device a way out of this regular growing impact of scorching heat which is not only hard on our bodies but our moods and efficiency to a large extent without mentioning our electric bills. It is better to adopt preventive measure than to rush to medical practitioners. Here below mentioned are top ten grandma’s tips to keep you cool in the scorching heat.
- Drink More Water – This will keep you hydrated always as when you sweat, the natural body circulation will act as the best coolant for your body. Eat water rich fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Use light colored cotton and airy cloth. Cover the head with light cotton clothing or hat or umbrella.
- Maintain greenery all around you. Stay in the shade. Create cross ventilation.
- Use wet cotton cloth to swipe you occasionally which keeps you cool and the evaporation of water in the process acts as good natural cooling agent. Take multiple showers daily.
- Know Your Body’s Best Cooling Points – When stuck with heat and required immediate respite, understand the body’s best cooling points like wrist and neck which when applied with wet towel or ice cubes rapped towels cools down the body quickly.
- Best drink to beat the heat – The most famous north Indian drink in summer is thandai which is very helpful in summer to cool off the body. Besides there are other drinks as well like buttermilk, lassi, mango shake, mint lemonade, other fruits shake, raw mango and mint leaves shake with cooling spices like cumin, fennel, pepper and kala namak which provides both energy and electrolytes, juice of coriander or mint leaves with sugar, tamarind water, grape soda, lemon soda, cold coffee, iced mint green tea, a concoction of tulsi seeds mixed in some rose water, a handful of fennel seeds soaked overnight in water, strained and drinking the water in the morning, aloe vera juice, plums water prepared by soaking some plums in water till they are soft, mashing them in water and strain it, herb infused water like Brahmi, Chandan, Khas and Kevda which have calming effect on brain, badam milk, lemon ginger squash, coconut water, which act as natural coolant to fight the summer heat and contains bountiful nutrients.
- Refrigerate barley, rice or wheat-filled bags to use them as ice packs
- Applying onion juice behind the ears and on your chest can help bring down your body temperature. Raw onions in chutneys or salads cool our system.
- Apply aloe vera on your body.
- Mix some sandalwood powder and apply it on your forehead and chest. Its cooling properties will bring down your body temperature. Alternatively, massage some sandalwood oil on your forehead. You can also use the oil to soothe irritable skin.